Separation of church and state
(Law, Society) Christmas is fast approaching, and once again we're hearing the argument over whether it's a Christmas tree or a holiday tree. Those in the holiday tree camp try to point to the First Amendment to support their case. Unfortunately for them, it does just the opposite.
Read More
Occupy Wall Street
(Society) I've held my tongue regarding the Occupy Wall Street protests that are occurring across the country, but it's getting ridiculous. First, no, you are not the 99%. Why? Because you certainly don't represent me and I'm clearly not in the 1% (see my last post). Demonizing the wealthy is never the answer. Have some Wall Street companies done shady or dirty deals? Probably, but that's not a reason to damage a bunch of small businesses with your protests. There are restaurants and other small businesses suffering because the protestors are chasing away customers. Make your point and go home, people.
Read More
Isolationism in a world gone mad
(Government, Society) With all the turmoil in Iran, the fighting still going on in Afghanistan, and talk of pulling out of Iraq, there are voices on the right calling for a return to isolationism. These folks say our Founding Fathers never wanted us involved in 'other people's wars'. We should be committed to commerce, trading with everyone regardless. While I can see the attraction of that viewpoint, is it really the morally correct one? Talking in the broad strokes of nations can make it difficult to evaluate. Let's bring it down to a more manageable scenario.
Read More
The nanny state and personal responsibility
(Government, Society) A recent newspaper article highlighted this issue. An elderly couple — he's 65, she's 70 — haven't made mortgage payments in four months for their three-bedroom home and the wife has started cyberbegging.
Read More
Frivolous Lawsuits
(Law, Society) What has happened to our society? Why is it people must find someone to blame, someone to pay, whenever there's an accident or injury? What happened to personal responsibility?
Read More
PAGE  < 1 2 3 4 5 6